early morning rambles

I've been up since 5:30. That's not terribly early for a lot of people but it's early for me lately. My sweetest-baby-ever Addison has not been sleeping well. Or really sleeping at all. But yesterday I realized she had another tooth that popped through her little gums and last night she sleep wonderfully.
--------------------------------------
New chore charts have been created and new chores along with them. We now have a mini Command Central in the kitchen. The weekly menu is posted on a chalkboard, with everyone's chores listed underneath on index cards. Everyone has a morning and an afternoon envelope, as well as a "done" envelope for their cards. Its a pretty popular system around here and I now see why. Everything is so clearly organized for each girl. I even have cards listing the proper way to complete each job. It did take me quite awhile to write everything out but I think it will be worth it in the end. Each girl has some new chores and lots of old ones. I'm trying to slowly work myself out of the household work. No, I'm not trying to raise up little slave workers. I want my daughters to know what it is to run a home. Whether they become career women or at-home moms, they will need to know all the little tasks and big tasks that need to happen each day in order to keep a house running smoothly. My main job now will be to check their work.
--------------------------------------

I had my wisdom teeth taken out this past Friday. My cheeks are puffy and my jaw aches but besides that I'm doing fine. After reading some horror stories of people who were in terrible pain for days, I was nervous that I'd really be down and out for the weekend. Thankfully, my pain is not that bad and I really like applesauce.

While I was waiting for my mouth to numb in the dentist's chair, I read through the first 2 chapters of James. This seemed like a much better use of my time than falling asleep, which is what I did while I was waiting to get some fillings repaired last week. I'm sure I'm not the first person to fall asleep at the dentist but it was still a little embarrassing. So I read James instead. I reread it this morning to stir up once again the words that struck me as so profound.

Know this my beloved brothers: let every man be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20 ESV

Slow to speak. Yes, that would solve a lot of problems wouldn't it? Get that filter working, slow your big mouth down and think about what you're saying before all the venom comes flying out. I need that thought with me daily. Isn't it so like our God to give us such easy instructions? Slow to speak. How many issues would we find we could avoid if we could just slow down, think, pray and then speak?

------------------------------------------

My time reading the Bible and praying is not one for the record books right now. It's a very busy season for us that I think is starting to develop a routine, finally. That gives me hope that I might be able to carve out more than 5 minutes to read His Word each day. I've been at this awhile now. I want to know more and to be a changed person, one who demonstrates God's heart in every situation. It seems like I should be "getting it" more by now. God is so unendingly patient with me, it's unfathomable. Still the same struggles, still the same highs and lows...but yet when I need Him, He's there. Not like the wild winds that are flinging angry rain at my windows right now but like a calm, gentle breeze.

yes, there is enough grace. yes i forgive you. yes i will help you.
peace. unending peace.

Comments