judgements fail

After the post about diets, I got some feedback. Quite a bit. Then I linked to this blog post on my Facebook wall. Lots more feedback. lots more conversations. Lots more digging through my brain and heart. And I realized something.

This all has nothing to do with food.

These little issues, little stumbling blocks all boil down to judgement. Not only do we judge one another but more than that we are afraid of who might be judging us. It's a vicious cycle that is preventing the work of God in the women of the church.

I hesitate to invite the thin, organic-food-only, seemingly put together mom over to my house. It's not just because I'm judging her but even more powerful is the fear that she will judge me. My house will be too messy, my food not right, my kids too wild.

Women, are we bringing division to the church because we are afraid that our lunch won't be healthy enough? Is fear holding us back from becoming a powerful band of praying wives and mothers, united for Christ?

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear... (1 John 4:18a NKJV)

I need to let the perfect, grace-filled love of Christ rule my days. Not fear. Not assumptions that just because Mom X doesn't have a stain on her shirt like I do, that she's too good to be friends with me. Love needs to rule my days. I need to be a lovely representation of a God who did so much more for me that I deserve. Do I feel lovely most days? No. But God doesn't ask for perfection, He asks for our hearts. Where is my heart? Is it on Christ? Do my kids see Jesus in me? Do they see the Love of Christ casting out fear, judgement, anger?

Oh God, let it be so.

And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ. (Colossians 3:23, 24 NKJV)

It's hard to feel judged. It's hard to let go of our own judgements of others. But if we are doing our days with a heart that is serving the Lord, rather than looking for the approval of man, God will see and bless our effort. We may still be judged. We may still judge others. But if we can just take a moment to put our minds back on doing these seemingly mundane mom things for Christ, rather than to measure up to _____, we can see God move. If we can just be responsible for our choices and thoughts, rather than trying to dictate everyone else's choices, we can see amazing unity.

Comments

  1. Very inspiring Jackie....sounds a lot like the thoughts in my head most of the time and you are so right...they should be focused on Christ and nothing else....so much work needs to be done...thanks for the insight/reminder :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment