on Mother's Day

I'm thankful this Mother's Day for the revelation that I am not ruining my kids. This is good news.

The bad news is they were ruined from their first moments of life.

We are all sinners. We all need Jesus desperately. Why do we parents, especially moms, think that we can form and fix our kids to behave just right, all the time? Do you behave properly all the time? (if so, you can stop reading now.)

I don't. I mess up and get angry or snappy or gluttonous or selfish or a number of other sins all the time. I'm almost 34 years old! Shouldn't I have this figured out by now?! What is wrong with me??

I'm human, that's what.
I'm fallible.
I'm not going to be perfect until I go to Heaven or Jesus Christ returns.
Grown ups understand these things about each other, right? We don't expect our friends or peers to be perfect.

Then WHY do we expect our kids to be perfect?
They're human, too.
They are fallible. They will disappoint us and hurt us because we try so hard to make them better than we are. But just like us, they won't be perfect until the second coming of Christ or their entrance into Heaven.

We need to relax, moms. There is grace for our children and their mistakes. It's inconceivable but there is plenty of grace for all our mistakes and theirs. We can teach, train, mold, talk, try, cry, plead, lead and more. But we will fail. We will ask our kids to forgive us. We will move on. Even in that we are teaching. But we cannot perfect them, no matter how hard we try.

So this Mother's Day, let's relax and enjoy our kids. Yeah, you're right. They're not perfect. They might even be frustrating. But at least they're not boring, right?

Comments