{Dear Weary Mom} Hope

While I was doing my morning devotional (and sucking down coffee) my younger girls were watching Tangled. Disney remade the classic tale of Rapunzel into a full length movie a few years ago and it's become a favorite in our house. If you haven't seen it, bear with me. I'm going somewhere, promise.

In the scene where Rapunzel and Eugene are out in the boat, waiting for the lanterns to be released Rapunzel admits that she is terrified. She's been waiting her whole life for this moment she is about to experience. Terrified?! Why? Eugene asks. Rapunzel's answer captured my attention:

"What if it's not everything I dreamed it would be?"

Dreams. Hopes. Wishes. Expectations. We live in a world that encourages us to dream but when our expectations aren't met, it can be so tiresome to keep going. It can be so easy to listen to the world tell us that we put our hope in the wrong thing.

As I was listening to the movie continue (it all ends in fine Disney fashion, in case you're wondering) my reading took me to Galatians 6. One of my favorite verses caught my eye and has been burning in my heart all day.


Maybe you're newly married and you are discovering that marriage is work, rather than all romance and flowers.

Maybe you thought that by now, you'd have friends that you could rely on.

Maybe you are working a job that you never wanted, just barely surviving.

Maybe you dreamed of being a mother your whole life, only to find that it's hard and sometimes you really don't like it.

Maybe you thought your children would be better at _______ by now.

Our expectations can make our reality out to be dingy and grey rather that sparkling and fun. Reality isn't always sparkling and fun, with the perfect fairy tale ending. Reality for many moms is work and hard choices and discipline and surrender.

Galatians 6:9 (NKJV) says And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.

The Living Bible says And let us not get tired of doing what is right, for after a while we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t get discouraged and give up.

 So today, I'm just trying to not give up. Have you been there, moms? I'm trusting that God can use and be present in my reality of kids that still don't listen and days that seem like no one cares and budgets that I just want to toss out the window if I don't give up. It's all worth it because it's all for His Glory, even when everything seems so opposite of glorifying. Even when I am discouraged, I try to not give up.

Dear mom that is weary and discouraged and just about ready to give up - give up your expectations, but don't give up on God or His promise. You will reap a harvest of blessing.


 

Comments

  1. Your words reminded me of another verse of Pauls- "For I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task, the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace." He talked so much about contentment and I think THIS is it. If we make life about us, we will constantly be disappointed, because our expectations are never fully met. But when we make it about God? THAT changes everything.
    Thanks for a great post! Tangled is a HUGE favorite in our house. Is it odd that I still get teary in the scene you described?!!
    Hope you have a beautiful weekend and don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear mom that is weary and discouraged and just about ready to give up - give up your expectations, but don't give up on God or His promise. You will reap a harvest of blessing. -- so good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment