What I've Been Reading: Mom edition

It's not uncommon for me to be reading several books at once. I love to read and depending on what kind of mood I'm in, I like reading different things.  Over the last year or so, I've been reading some great books on being a mother. Most of the homeschool and fiction books I read wind up getting reviewed here, so I thought it would be fun to show you what else I've read.




Most recently, I finished Feminine Appeal: Seven Virtues of a Godly Wife and Mother by Carolyn Mahaney. Carolyn walks the reader through the characteristics listed in Titus 2:3-5. I really enjoyed Carolyn's writing style - challenging, encouraging and completely honest. This book is also loaded with Scriptural references. Every chapter outlines the why's and how's of the seven virtues found in Titus 2:3-5 but Carolyn also uses every chapter to point readers to the Cross. My favorite quote from the book is one that Carolyn writes as a prayer ... "Lord, help me to build the kind of home where all who enter find it 'impossible to keep from thinking of God'." Amen.







I will soon be rereading this book and it is one of my favorites. I love that there is great wisdom on relating to and raising older children and teenagers. It's also just great information for relating to Understanding Your Child's Temperament by Beverly Lahaye is a practical, easy to read and interested book for any parent.
people in general. The study of temperaments is a fascinating one! It's out of print now, but used copies can be easily found online and I would highly recommend it for any parent's bookshelf.









For mothers of daughters, I can't recommend Enough: 10 Things We Should Tell Teenage Girls highly enough. Since I did a full review of it, I have had quite a few opportunities to discuss this book with fellow girl moms and I've lent my copy out, happily. If you have daughters, read this one.

{My full review can be found here.}









The first book I've read by Sally Clarkson is The Ministry Of Motherhood. I want to read all of her books now. Reading Sally Clarkson's book is a lot like sitting down and talking with a seasoned, patient mother of many. She writes of her experiences with transparency and grace. I love it. Sally lists and details for her readers the way in which she purposed to teach her children of God's GIFTS - grace, inspiration, faith, training and service. It's just as inspirational as it is practical. My copy of this book is full of scribbles, underlined words, stars and notes yet I can't wait to read this one again. The wisdom in these pages never gets old. My favorite quote is right at the beginning of the book but it's such a great reminder --

"Effective spiritual, emotional, and social training in the lives of my children would have to be both intentional and planned."


So that's what I've been reading lately. Don't even get me started on my favorites I had to leave off the list ... First, We Have Coffee ... but it's a start. What have you been reading?

Comments