5 Steps to Organizing Your Homeschool Day Pt. 1

Today, I'm starting a new series on ... you guessed it! I'd like to share with you about how I go about organizing our homeschool days. Because November. If you're anything like me, you're getting a little too close to that holiday slump and things are slowing down in the school department. There are so many fun and wonderful things packed into November and December! I know! (Confession - I'm a complete holiday freak. Thanksgiving menu, Black Friday shopping lists and Christmas music are all happening in my house.)

What better way to get yourself back on track than a freshly organized day? The best part? Step one is really easy and involves prayer. You cannot go wrong with that! Read on for details...

5steps

1. Pray for your own homeschool vision and reject the comparison trap.

In John 21:20-22, Jesus reminds us that we are to follow Him. Not the other disciples. Not the perfect Pinterest moms. Not the bloggers or the writers. Jesus. (my translation) "If I will that her homeschool has all the newest curriculum and perfect organization, what's that to you? You follow Me." Let's avoid the comparison trap, moms.


Taking time to stop, pray and wait (often the part we forget!) for God to show us a vision for our homeschool is invaluable. I wish that I had done it sooner but when I did, I knew it was God. I was driving when it came to mind and the fact that I remembered it when I stopped is a sure sign!


Think about what you want your children to learn and experience, what you want them to be capable of. For us, I want my children to be good writers. There are plenty of shortcuts for spelling and math and such but you can’t fake good writing (unless you’re cheating!).So writing is a big part of our homeschool vision. Your homeschool vision will be unique to your family and situation. Don't be afraid that it's not right or not good enough - it's a vision, a guide for your tasks.


2. Write down your homeschool vision and read it often.

I'm going to be completely honest with you. I haven't written down my homeschool vision anywhere but here. *hanging head in shame* I do think of it often and it guides my curriculum choices. But I'd love to having it printed and nicely framed, hanging on a wall. Everyone knows these verses well, but they are so good and so applicable to homeschooling.


Deuteronomy 6:4-9 “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.  And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart.  You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.  You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes.  You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates." (emphasis mine)


Don't get me wrong - my homeschool vision is not equal with God's Word. But it is the word that God gave to me, to help guide my homeschool. I want to remember that and use it to help me stay on target.


So there are steps 1 & 2. Next week I'll share step 3, which is about the most important thing to take care of first each day. I think it might surprise you! Do you already have a vision for your homeschool? Care to share it? If not, I'd love to hear from you on how you want to incorporate a homeschool vision into your day! Check back next week for more!

Comments