Dry Bones and Late Nights

We've had a series of late nights. Since Friday, we've been out and about with a spontaneous road trip and special meetings at our church. The funny thing about my children is that half of them don't sleep in, regardless of how late they go to bed. Honestly, I don't either. I know that I have to go to bed by a certain time, in order to get enough rest. When I don't, no amount of naps (ha!) can help me. I'm tired until I can get a full night's rest.

Am I the only one that starts to feel fuzzy in the head when I don't get enough sleep? It's like any filter that may have been in place over my mouth has huge holes ripped in it. How do you keep all the plates spinning and wheels turning when you're tired? Here's what I'm trying to remember:

~ Grace is a beautiful, God-breathed idea. Don't forget about it. We are taking a couple of days off of school, knowing that these late nights were coming. Sometimes you can't plan ahead. Even then, be forgiving. Show grace. Pause before you speak (I'm working on this one!). Remember that tired children aren't going to behave the same way they normally would so have grace, forgiveness and patience for them.

ezekiel

~ Speak to your dry bones. God does not get tired or cranky - hallelujah! - and He is able to sustain us when we are feeling too exhausted to function. Prophesy to these bones and say to them, 'O dry bones, hear the word of the Lord! We know that God wants to give rest to the weary, that He gently leads those that are with young and that He is faithful to forgive us. Speak it to your own tired soul and trust that God hears you.

~ Take a break. Maybe you can't skip work or school, but can you take ten minutes to go outside? Just to breathe deeply and wonder at the way Creation comes to life, each and every spring? Can you make sandwiches for dinner rather than cooking something time-consuming? Find a few minutes to just take a break. Put your children in bed or on the bed with books for 15 minutes.

More than anything, remember that God is for you today. Even in your exhaustion and even if you already lost your temper with a child that is much.too.awake for you today - God is for you and wants to help you today. You are not disqualified just because you're tired or cranky. Trust Him!

Comments