Sifting

And the Lord said, “Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren.” - Luke 22:31-32

Have you ever thought about what Jesus meant by this? I'm not going to get into the theological meanings of Satan asking for Simon because that's beyond me. But the idea of being sifted. Have you ever sifted flour? It gets shaken and pounded and filtered and eventually falls into a bowl. It's clean, uniform and ready to be used.

I feel sifted lately. Tired. Weary. Like everything has just been given a little shake. Don't get me wrong, nothing of real concern is happening. But the business of life - the busy-ness of life - has left me feeling sifted lately.

Random, crazy issues with our house.

Teenage and tweenage hormones.

A very busy husband.

More than anything else, my own inadequacy to handle such things.

One could say that we are all in the process of being sifted, of getting the lumpy and unwanted parts of our souls brought to the surface so they can be tossed in the trash. We all know the feeling of being tossed around like flour in a sifter, just waiting to fall into the bowl.

sifterThis is what I'm thinking about as we approach Easter this weekend. How good our God is, that He continues to welcome us into His Presence - even when we're inadequate. Even when all those lumps are being sifted to the surface. Even when we are weary and tired. He always welcomes us.

Are you being sifted today? Do you feel like life is just a little too much lately? If you're anything like me, cling to these verses. If one of the disciples could deny Jesus at His time of need and Jesus still welcomed him back into the fold, He will not turn us away in our weariness. Let us run to Him this Easter and fully believe that He can give us rest.

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. ~ Matthew 11:28

Comments