My Favorite Things: Podcasts

myfavoritethingsThis topic came up recently in a discussion with some friends. Podcasts. I am a podcast junkie. There are others that I listen to but I narrowed it down to four and will listen them here. First, what are podcasts? The official definition:

pod·castˈ

podcast


1.a digital audio file made available on the Internet for downloading to a computer or portable media player, typically available as a series, new installments of which can be received by subscribers automatically.



Basically they are recordings of sermons, interviews or just discussions that are available online through an app on a smartphone or directly from a website. How do you find them? Well, I'm a dedicated iPhone user so I cannot help you if you use a different type of smartphone. On my iPhone, there is a podcast app that comes preloaded into the phone. It's purple. You click on it. Then you tap the search icon. And then you search. It's complicated, I know. ;)

When do I listen to podcasts? When I'm walking, in the car, when I'm working, when I'm cooking - any time I can pop in a pair of earbuds for a few minutes. I don't always get to listen to one podcast from start to finish all at once. And sometimes I have to listen to one a couple of times before I really feel like I've grasped everything. Podcasts help keep me thinking about good topics and challenge my slowly-melting mommy brain. I like listening to something that makes me think. So what are my favorites, you ask? Here they are!

1. Homeschooling In Real Life by Andy (aka Fletch) and Kendra Fletcher. Fletch and Kendra are very funny, very transparent and very encouraging. I don't think this podcast is just for homeschoolers either. They talk about a variety of topics including coffee, apples, keeping control of our mouths, andcurrent events as well as homeschooling.

2. The God Centered Mom by Heather MacFadyen. This one is a bit new to me but I've been binge-listening to it for a few days now. SO good. There are a couple of great episodes for parents with strong-willed children, hand raised, and I like that Heather is completely honest about her struggles. Heather is not a homeschooler and has four boys - pretty much a total opposite of me - but I love her podcast.

3. Inspired To Action by Kat Lee. I've subscribed and unsubscribed to this podcast a few times. It's not one that I listen to every single episode but I do find a lot of Kat's topics interesting. These podcasts are usually ones I have to listen to twice, because they are often loaded with great information.

4. The Wired Homeschool by John Wilkerson. I first heard about this podcast through Homeschooling In Real Life. I love that the episodes are fairly short and very helpful. The social media series is awesome. If you have a child with access to the internet or a smartphone, you should listen to it.

You can also find a plethora of sermons through podcasts. I've listened to a series from The Village Church called A Beautiful Design more than once. The podcasts on women are amazing. I have also enjoyed podcasts by Nancy Leigh-Demoss.

Am I missing one? What's your favorite podcast? Share it with me! Maybe you've never listened to podcasts... I hope this helps you find something you'll enjoy and find encouraging. Let me know what you've listened to!

Comments

  1. Thanks for the mention Jackie & for listening! So glad you've enjoyed the series with Kirk. And fun fact...I don't homeschool, but I was homeschooled 3rd thru 8th grade. look forward to getting to know you better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather! Thanks for stopping by! I'm a public school graduate myself (I didn't even know homeschooling was legal until I was in high school!) but my husband was homeschooled. I'm looking forward to more podcasts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment