3 Scriptures Every Mom Should Memorize

A mombrain is a busy place. From the moment that you share the news that you're expecting, there are all of these things that start to fill up your brain. The dates and stats everyone expects you to know at the drop of a hat, all the things that are good or bad or necessary or not recommended - it's dizzying and it never stops. My youngest child is 5 and I can still remember all my daughters' birth weights. Remembering the correct name when I need them for something? Touch and go. Sometimes they just get pointed at and called 'you.' Just being honest here! There is a lot of information, both necessary and not necessary, that fills a mom's brain.

One thing that I think is so crucial for moms to make space for in their busy minds is Scripture. Because one thing that I know for certain is that mothers are bombarded daily with people telling them in subtle and not-so-subtle ways how they should be raising their children or keeping their home or living their life. The one way to fight against those voices is having Scripture buried deep in your heart and fresh on your mind. When I thought about which verses were the most important and helpful to me, three came to mind.



Romans 12:18


 If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.

In our day and age of offenses and social media, I think it's harder than ever for women to live at peace with one another. This verse has brought me so much freedom. I remind myself of two things from Romans 12:18: First, if it is possible means that sometimes it's not possible. And let's be honest, sometimes it is not possible to live at peace with someone. Sometimes you have to walk away from a relationship in order to let God move.

And second, as much as it depends on me means that lots of things don't depend on me. How someone chooses to respond to my words or actions. How they interpret my words. What they choose to say to me. All things that don't depend on me. What does depend on me is being sure that my words and actions are seeking to glorify God and encourage those around me. Not bearing false witness (or heavily filtered Instagram photos) and not being inflammatory just to watch the sparks fly on a Facebook post. If it is possible, as much as it depends on me - bring grace and peace into every conversation. That is what brings peace.

John 21:22


Jesus said to him, “If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you? You follow Me.(emphasis mine)

ohhh, the conviction that comes with this verse! But also, the freedom. Jesus did not die on the cross so we could continue to live bitter lives of comparison. He wants so much more for us! Freedom. Rest. Grace. Peace. The things that lead to a rich and powerful life that serves the Kingdom of God. This verse is a great daily reminder that we are to focus on following Jesus. Not following the 'have-it-all-together' mom at church or the latest Christian celebrity. Good role models are helpful. Solid discipleship relationships are crucial. But we are still called to follow Jesus. No one else.

Zephaniah 3:17


The Lord your God in your midst,
The Mighty One, will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you with His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing.

If you've never been somewhere near me during one of my daughter's basketball games or performances, be thankful.  At basketball games, I am that mom that cheers for everything and does so loudly. When one of my girls are performing, I'm stretching my neck to get the best view of them in the back row of the dance or whispering the words of their solo. If it's a big performance, I don't breathe until it's over because I just love watching them do stuff! I love watching my two athletic girls play basketball. And my 5 year old that was scared to go out on the court last basketball season? When she finally did go out without crying or a coach holding her hand, I could have burst with pride. I loved watching my 12 year old at her shooting sports class. I'm blown away by all the cool stuff they can do!

That is the way God feels about you. Do you believe it, moms? Do you know it and accept it? The Lord God rejoices and sings over you. Just you. Not your clean house or your pretty living room. Not the bible study you organized or the way your kids line up in size order at the snap of a finger. Just.You. He loves you, He rejoices over you and is glad that you are His. He wants you to live in peace, to quiet you with His love. That is the verse we need to be repeating to ourselves when we hear those voices telling us we aren't enough. You are enough because you are His.




Take some time, friends. Make space in your busy, full brain for what God has to say to you. It is so, so important that we walk in the words He has spoken and not in what the world would want us to believe! Do you have a favorite verse that helps you in your life as a mom?

Comments