The Good Water

Recently, we had to change our water softener system. Because of some random particle in our well water, the system we originally had installed wan't working and we had to change to an older, but better functioning, water system style. It's working wonderfully now. So what's the point?

I don't like the way the water tastes. I hate it, actually.



You see, with the old system I drank water all day long. It was smooth and clean tasting, refreshing and quenched my thirst. With a few ice cubes and a slice of lemon? Perfect. I loved it. But with the new system, I can taste the difference. There's just a slight taste but it's enough that I haven't been drinking a lot of water. I went from drinking probably 6-8 quart jars of water a day to drinking maybe 1 or 2. At first, I was thirsty but just couldn't bring myself to drink the new water because I didn't like the taste and was throwing a little fit in my head that the system had to be changed. To drink the water and enjoy it, I had to add sweetened iced tea powder and I didn't want to drink too much sugar, so I'd just have one glass at meals. That was about it.



Before the water softener change, I was always drinking water and I craved it. It wasn't like I was dying of thirst, it was more like that water is so good! I want more!  But after the change, I didn't crave the water because it didn't taste good to me. I would just drink what I thought was barely enough. Gradually, that amount lessened until I realized one day that I hadn't had anything to drink besides my morning coffee and a glass of iced tea at dinner all day. The crazy thing I realized was that I stopped feeling thirsty. I had trained my body to stop craving that good thing that I know I need. I felt a bit cranky. My hands felt a bit puffy. I just didn't have the same amount of energy that I was used to. Because our bodies need water, and a good amount of it, to function properly. But because my water didn't taste good any more, I slowly just stopped feeding my body what it needs.

Why in the world am I telling you this?

Because we do this to ourselves all.the.time.

Church attendance. Didn't like that message on Sunday morning? A little too challenging? No one talks to you any way, so why bother.

Bible reading. Did that Scripture about forgiveness you read last week sting a bit and you haven't opened your Bible since setting it down that day? Plus, you read the quote on your calendar twice so that probably counts.

Quiet time. Maybe you haven't seen that thing you've been praying for change at all in years. Maybe you feel like you're just talking to yourself and you don't like it. So why bother, right?

Building relationships. No one wants to go out for coffee with you any way, so you don't really need a mommy break to catch your breath. Let me guess - you're fine. So what if you fight tears back any time something doesn't go right. You're fine. No need for a break.

Exercise. Date nights with your husband. Small group attendance. Setting boundaries. I could go on and on.

Any time something isn't what we set it on a pedestal to be, we too easily set it aside. If it's not just how we think it should be, we're done. Like me with the water from the new system, I was drying my body up like a shriveled raisin just like we dry up our souls when we stop reading our Bible or praying or talking to like-minded women. Because if you don't like it, why bother?

That is a lie we are believing that has been fed to us from this humanistic society around us and not from the Word of God. We were not promised an easy life in Christ. There's no verses promising that you will enjoy every moment of your life because it will all be happiness and rainbows. We have a choice. Turn away from what doesn't taste always good to our selfish hearts and slowly shrivel up into bitterness or turn towards what God has said are good things, drink from the Living Water, and truly live. What choice will you make today?

I'm going to get some Water.

Comments