The Changing Seasons

It's almost October. The season of falling leaves and busy calendars around here. It's also the month that contains two birthday girls in this house and they're big birthdays this year. My beautiful blonde Alyssa is going to be 13. Thirteen. Thirteen years of her sparkly blue eyes and hilarious personality and of learning to live with her food allergies. And our little Addie, our baby that didn't want to breathe when she was born, will be 6 in two short days. And tomorrow morning? Tomorrow morning, they'll all get ready and load into our truck and happily go into their first weekly enrichment program of the year. Most likely, they'll go without even looking back at me for reassurance.

They're growing up.





I always thought that I wouldn't be one of those moms. You know, the sappy moms that stared longingly at the young mom surrounded by little faces that needed her. Although I don't miss crying babies (canigetanamen?), those little faces that needed me? Sometimes when I realize they're not so little any more, my breath catches. They're growing up. They're learning how to do this thing called life on their own. Because no matter how cliche it sounds, it's true. To everything there is a season. Babies don't keep. And one day you really will wake up, only to realize that your crowd of little faces aren't so little any more.

There are moments during our average school day when I find me wishing I could clone myself. The oldest has to get to her science class, but the 8th grader that is doing so great in pre-algebra needs me for her daily lesson and the very bright little 1st grader has finished all her work for the day. She's bored. And the 4th grader? She's outside with the rabbits instead of doing her handwriting. Every one needs me, and a different part of me. But more and more, I'm finding moments when everyone has gone through their checklist for the day. They're working in their rooms or at the table. And they don't need me at all. Almost every afternoon I find myself in this weird position of not knowing what to do with myself. Everyone is doing their own thing, whether it be working or school or just playing. There's no more nap times or 'help me, mom!'

And I realize I really have become that mom. Young moms - no matter how exhausting and annoying and menial the day to day is, just love it. What an honor! Just look at them. Those little faces were given to you my God to nurture and raise and teach. And the menial things? They're laying the foundation for the not-so-menial things that will sneak up on you before you know it. Because any mom that's not so young can tell you that little children exhaustion is nothing compared to the emotional and mental exhaustion of older children and teens. Watching your children walk through real hurts or issues is so much harder than potty training. I promise.

So young moms, take it from this not so young mom and just pause for a moment to love the little people that surround you. And not-so-young moms, don't mourn for too long. We're raising world changers and they won't learn anything if we're trying to hold them back.



{I'm going to go wake my almost 6 year old up so I can hug her now.}

Comments

  1. Alright. Had me crying tonight reading this... The days do have their ups and downs but I know (from hearing) that it goes so fast. And I don't want to wish these days away. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I certainly didn't mean to make you cry! But trust me, when I look at Margaret some times I can see a little Lael standing there. Time just disappears.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment