The Proverbs 31 Woman - The Original Pinterest Mom

We've all seen it. We get on Pinterest and see photos of these amazing supermoms and their perfect crafts, school projects, and perfect meals with all prepared with a smile. Plus it all coordinates and her house in the background of every photo is spotless. Even her laundry room is cute! How in the world are we - normal, every day, clinging to Jesus and a cup of coffee moms - supposed to compete with that?! So then we go to the Bible and find the Proverbs 31 woman. Hello! She's the original Pinterest mom! Seemingly perfect and untouchable.





The Proverbs 31 Woman is industrious. She brings good food to her family. She makes them the most stylish clothes. She seems to have never slept. She fed the poor. She was always kind. She is constantly doing something and it is all good. Her household was perfectly in order, and her well-respected husband adored her. Even her kids admired her. Who is this superwoman and where do I find some of the water she's drinking!?



And what about our daughters that are on Pinterest (or any other social media really), seeing perfectly made up (coughandhighlyeditedcough) young women with cute clothes, adorable bedrooms, and a crew of great friends? Those images can make young girls just as unsure about their own lives.

Intimidating, aren't they? Those perfect Pinterest women can make us feel inadequate when we can't even get breakfast on the table without someone spilling milk or crying. And research shows that the stress of seeing these perfect Pinterest moms is real. It can make us doubt what we're doing, who God made us to be, and what we are accomplishing each day. So what are we to do when we have modern Pinterest moms on one side and the original Pinterest mom - the Proverbs 31 woman - on the other? How do we come out from under the weight of our perceived unrealistic expectations?

We find the truth about what God wants from us. And we teach it to our daughters.

Over the next 8 weeks, I'm going to be sharing with you the main character qualities I find within Proverbs 31:10-31. I'll break down how that seemingly perfect Proverbs 31 woman can help normal moms like us can get out from underneath the weight of the unrealistic expectations the world puts on us through avenues like Pinterest and other social media. There will be journaling questions each week for you to think over, as well as discussion questions to use with your daughters. The questions will be available in a downloadable format. I'm using this study right along with you, finding the qualities that I want to instill in my daughters (and in me!) as they learn to walk out their own Christian life.

My aim is to have each post ready by Sunday afternoon, so you can use it through the week. This is a new idea for me though, so bear with me as I work this all out! The first post will be live by Sept 11 and will focus on Proverbs 31:10-11 and walking in virtue, especially in a modern and immoral world. And I would appreciate your prayers, as I walk this out in obedience to God. I'm no Bible scholar but I believe God wants me to do this, so here we go! I'd love it if you'd share this post with others women that you think would enjoy it!

Comments

Post a Comment