The Most Important Sentence In My Day

Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration. But not by much. This really is one of the most important sentences in my day.  It helps our children and it helps us mommas to not lose our bananas every 30 minutes.

So what is it?




I need a minute, please.


Situation #1: The baby is crying, the children are fighting, dinner is burning, and your husband walks in the door.
I need a minute, please.

Situation #2: You're trying to pull together the children's church schedule but the 5 year old wants something and has started the chant. mommommommommommommom
I need a minute, please.

Situation #3: There is one last thing you have to do for work, but you keep getting interrupted by people (big or small) and are just about to lose it.
I need a minute, please.


You're Human, Too


Ladies, I know it's easy to get wrapped up in all the things we need to accomplish each day. But the one thing that struck me, as I was thinking this over, is that it's important for you to remember that you're human, too. That means God created you. He cares for you and He sees you. It matters to Him that you are at peace, joyful, controlled, and acting with a sound mind. I do not believe for one moment that God intended for women to become run down, exhausted short-order cooks or maids for a home full of little tyrants.

Serving With Joy


As women we are called to love our husbands and children and that often means serving them through our actions in the home. This means that as we teach our children to be respectful and helpful in the home, we should also be teaching them that they do not rule the roost. It's good and right that our children should know sometimes Mom just needs a minute. Maybe there is no escaping their presence, but you can expect some time of silence. You can expect some time with no demands. You can expect that they can wait for ______, because your universe does not revolve around their sweet little heads!

The Emergency Bag


That's where the idea for this post was born. Addie's emergency bag. Addie, our littlest princess, is most definitely the darling of our household. She is a sweet girl, which helps (hurts?) with her expectation of attention. So when I was in situation #3 above and between the dogs and the girls - I had been interrupted about 20 times in 30 minutes. So when she stood next to my desk and asked to show me her emergency bag, I said it. "I need a minute, please." She looked crushed and I almost said, 'nevermind! I'll look now!' but I didn't. I finished my work tasks, took a moment to breathe, and was in a much better disposition when I called her over to show me the bag. And you know what? She was fine.

They Will Be Fine


Not only will your children be fine, but it's good for them to learn some patience, a bit of selflessness, and respect for Momma the grown-up. You are helping them in the long run to teach them from a young age that they are a part of a team, both at home and at church. Sometimes they're the star, sometimes they're the water boy. That's called life. And really? You will be a better mom for just taking the moments that you need. Joy, peace, grace, and contentment follow when we take that moment to align ourselves with God. A moment to repent, to pray for help, to give thanks, to cry out in grief or anger - He is there to listen and you will get the refreshing you need.
Okay, maybe that’s an exaggeration. But not by much. This really is one of the most important sentences in my day. It helps our children and it helps us mommas to not lose our bananas every 30 minutes. So what is it?

Comments